California Department of Transportation
Date: September 4, 2014
District:District 3 - Marysville, www.dot.ca.gov/dist3
John Rodrigues, Acting District Director
Contact: Gilbert Mohtes-Chan - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (530) 741-4571 office, (530) 682-6145 cell
Construction Completed on New Auxiliary Lanes and Sound Walls
on State Route 99 in Chico
CHICO – Caltrans joined officials from the city of Chico and the Butte County Association of Governments today to celebrate the completion of a much-needed project to construct new auxiliary lanes and sound walls on State Route 99 near Bidwell Park in central Chico.
"The new auxiliary lanes will reduce congestion through the heart of Chico and enhance safety for thousands of commuters and local residents who travel on this stretch of highway daily," said Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty.
The auxiliary lanes provide an important connector over Bidwell Park for local residents traveling between State Route 32 and East 1st Street. They also will reduce back-ups for northbound motorists exiting at East 1st Street.
The new sound walls will help reduce traffic noise for residents living near SR-99.
The upgrades on SR-99 are part of Caltrans’ ongoing effort to improve the transportation infrastructure in Butte County. Here are some other projects planned or underway:
- Work continues to replace the Butte Creek Bridge on SR-99. Completion of this $10 million project is expected this fall.
- Work on a $5.9 million project to improve safety by widening the shoulders of the Rock Creek Bridge is scheduled to begin in spring 2015.
- Work on a $4 million project to replace sidewalks along SR-32 in Chico is scheduled to begin in summer 2016. The sidewalks will be reconstructed to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- A $10.4 million project to resurface 6.5 miles of SR-99 through Chico and upgrade guard rail is scheduled for construction in spring 2016.
- A $3 million project to install three new traffic signals and improve intersection safety on SR-32 in Chico is scheduled for construction in summer 2017.
# # #