Division of Right of Way (ROW) and Land Surveys
Right of Way administers the statewide program for right of way acquisition and real property management in support of Caltrans' purpose, mission, vision and goals.
Read more about Right of Way
Right of Way's two primary responsibilities are:
- To appraise, and purchase property required for transportation purposes; affect and orderly relocation of affected families, businesses and utility facilities: and clearing of properties prior to construction.
- To comprehensively manage Caltrans' Real Property Program, reducing the costs of operations, and disposing of property no longer needed for transportation purposes.
Right of Way also has responsibility for:
- Monitoring right of way activities on federally assisted local facilities.
- Maintaining a stewardship role in the expenditure of federal funds.
- Ensuring local agency compliance when local funds are used for projects on the State Highway System.
Right of Way Highlights
- Interest Rates
- Your Property – Your Transportation Project (pdf)
- Su Propiedad – Su Proyecto de Transporte (pdf)
Relocation Assistance Program
- Business Relocation Brochure PDF
- Business Relocation Brochure (Spanish) PDF
- Mobile Home Relocation Brochure PDF
- Mobile Home Relocation Brochure (Spanish) PDF
- Residential Relocation Brochure PDF
- Residential Relocation Brochure (Spanish) PDF
The Airspace function is responsible for leasing and managing all property held for a transportation purpose that can safely accommodate a secondary use.
Appraisal guidelines and forms as presented here for public agencies or independent appraisers who prepare appraisals for Caltrans or other public agency transportation projects.
Here you will find information on our current inventory of properties for sale. This is your source for information on up-coming sales and auctions by Caltrans Right of Way Excess Land Branch.
Property Management manages all property held for future transportation projects, all excess properties, and employee housing.
The Right of Way Office of Real Property Services (RPS) is responsible for the management and disposition of all property purchased for transportation projects.
Right of Way Certification
The purpose of the R/W Certification is to ensure that the State has full legal and physical possession of all necessary rights of way required for the construction and subsequent operation of the transportation project.
The Utilities Relocation Branch is responsible to ensure that the right of way for highway projects is clear of utility facilities that would be in conflict with the proposed construction or subsequent operation of the highway facility.
The purpose of this online Right of Way Manual is to give users a tool that will lead them through the Right of Way processes.
Properties for rent
This is your source for available Caltrans rental properties:
This is your source for information on up-coming sales and auctions by Caltrans Right of Way Excess Land Branch.
District ROW Contact Information
Contact the Personnel Unit at (916) 445-2000 for a ROW staff directory.
HQ Right of Way
1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
District 1 Right of Way
1656 Union Street
Eureka, CA 95502
District 2 Right of Way
2250 Benton Dr. #200
Redding, CA 96003
District 3 Right of Way
723 D Street
Marysville, CA 95901
District 4 Right of Way
111 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA, 94612-3771
District 5 Right of Way
3232 S. Higuera Street #200
San Luis Obisbo, CA 93401
District 6 Right of Way
855 M Street, Ste 200
Fresno CA 93721-2716
District 7 Right of Way
100 S. Main Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
District 8 Right of Way
464 W. 4th Street, MS 1251
San Bernardino, CA 92401-1400
District 9 Right of Way
500 South Main
Bishop, CA 93514
District 10 Right of Way
1976 Charter Way
Stockton, CA 95201
District 11 Right of Way
4050 Taylor Street
San Diego, CA 92110
District 12 Right of Way
1750 E 4th Street, Suite 100
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Right of Way Links
- Right of Way Home Page
- Airspace & Telecommunications Licensing
- Excess Lands - Property for Sale
- Land Surveys
- Local Programs
- Property Management
- Real Property Services
- Relocation Assistance Program
- Right of Way Certifications
- Right of Way Storm Water
- Utility Relocations
- Wireless Licensing Program
Project Delivery Divisions
Department of Transportation
Division of Right of Way
1415 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95834
Reception Desk, Right of Way related only: